Feminist Does Not Equal Man Hater
If I had a nickel for every time I heard the phrase "you're a feminist, so you hate men?" I would be sipping margaritas on my pool float in a massive mansion, because I would be a MILLIONAIRE.
Since the beginning of time, women have been seen as objects to appease men. We're seen as baby makers and sex objects. Then, the women's movement grew larger and women, young and old, started to identify themselves as feminists.
To put it simply, the word feminist is an automatic threat to men. Males hear the word feminist and a silent alarm goes off in their head. Apparently, if a woman is a feminist, she automatically hates men and hopes that every male on Earth dies in a spontaneous tornado. If we believe in equality, then we must have a vendetta against men, right? WRONG!
Feminism is the radical notion that all sexes should be treated equally. It is the idea that women should be equal to men, not above them. We aren't looking to crush all men on the escalator to the top. We are simply asking to be placed on the SAME escalator.
Let's face the facts:
- In 2016 women in the United States were only paid 80% of what men were paid.
- Women earn about 82 cents for every dollar men earn.
- Women lose about $10,470 each year due to the wage gap.
- A Hispanic woman earns 54 cents for every dollar a white, non-Hispanic man earns.
- An African American woman earns 63 cents for every dollar a white, non-Hispanic man earns.
- An Asian woman earns 85 cents for every dollar a white, non-Hispanic man earns.
- The annual median pay for a woman who holds a full-time job is $40,742 vs. a man with an annual median pay of $51,212.
- Women in the United States lose a combined amount of over $840 billion every year due to the wage gap.
When the facts are simply laid out, it's easy to see why women are angry. But, let's make one thing clear. We are not angry at men. We are not angry that men are working. We are not angry that men have similar jobs to ours. We are angry because we are seen as less than. We are angry because we are not EQUAL.
Feminism does not equal man hater. Women want something that is so simple. We want to be treated equally, paid equally and viewed equally. Is that too much to ask?
Have any blog suggestions for me? Leave them in the comments down below! I would love to hear from you!
Welcome to VoiceBox! Grab a floor pillow, turn on your favorite hippie playlist and join the circle.